The Los Angeles Chargers announced Monday that tight end David Njoku has agreed to terms on a contract. According to the NFL Network, the deal is structured to be worth up to $8 million.

Njoku, 29, entered the league as a first-round pick by the Cleveland Browns in the 2017 NFL Draft and had spent his entire career there. His standout season came in 2023 when he earned a Pro Bowl selection after recording career highs of 81 receptions, 882 yards, and six touchdowns. The Athletic ranked him No. 76 among its top 150 free agents and eighth among tight ends.
The Chargers entered the offseason with a thin tight end room and did not select a player at that position in the draft. By signing Njoku, the team now has a complete unit. Los Angeles had already added former Baltimore Ravens tight end Charlie Kolar in free agency and fullback Alec Ingold, who previously played for Chargers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel in Miami. Ingold provides versatile blocking ability and can line up in multiple spots, including inline. The Chargers also return Oronde Gadsden, who emerged as a promising receiving option as a rookie last season. Njoku, who becomes the fourth piece in the fullback/tight end rotation, brings explosive athleticism and yards-after-the-catch ability. He also excels in contested catch situations, making him a natural fit in McDaniel’s passing attack.
Chargers tight ends coach Chandler Henley said Monday that Njoku’s experience was a key factor. Njoku will turn 30 in July and is entering his 10th NFL season. Henley views Njoku as a valuable mentor for Gadsden.
“I’m banking on the athleticism and the history of a really good, proven NFL football player,” Henley said. “He’s going to be able to fit in right away and really in all schemes, both run and pass. To me, that’s why he’s such a cool complement to the room.”
Henley also highlighted Njoku’s red-zone receiving ability. Since entering the NFL in 2017, Njoku has caught 25 red-zone touchdowns, tied for ninth among tight ends over that span, according to TruMedia.
“People know that, and so when he’s in the game, people already know who he is,” Henley said. “He’s also going to help open up for other people.”
This signing makes it tougher for Scott Matlock to secure a spot on the 53-man roster. Matlock was drafted as a defensive lineman in 2023 under the previous coaching staff. In 2024, coach Jim Harbaugh moved him to offense as a fullback/tight end. While Matlock improved over two seasons, he remained a work in progress, particularly with spatial awareness and lateral blocking. That makes him a tough fit in McDaniel’s scheme, especially in the run game. Njoku offers superior functional movement, even if he is a more impactful pass catcher than run blocker.
Henley said he has been “very, very impressed” with Matlock so far. The Chargers are now in their second week of on-field work with position coaches and players.